If you have ideas for how the DC government could work better, engagement during Oversight and Budget season is key! Each spring, Mayor Bowser and the DC Council offer several ways for the public to engage in the oversight and budget process. For the Fiscal Year 2020 budget, here are several ways to engage:
- Mayor Bowser Budget Engagement Forums (February): Join with fellow DC residents at forums to share your values, priorities, and ideas with the Bowser Administration as the FY20 budget is developed.
- DC Council Performance Oversight Hearings (February): The Council asks agency directors to testify on the agency’s performance of its key duties and plans moving forward. The public is invited to sign up to testify at these hearings. A few hearings relevant to food policy include:
- 2/15/2019, 11am: Food Policy Council oversight hearing;
- 2/8/2019, 10am: Department of Health oversight hearing;
- 2/12/2019, 10am: Department of Parks and Recreation oversight hearing;
- 2/13/2019, 10am: Department of Small and Local Business Development oversight hearing; and
- 2/26/2019, 12pm: DC Public Schools oversight hearing.
- See the full list of hearings and sign up to testify on the DC Council calendar.
- DC Council Budget Hearings (March/April): Once Mayor Bowser releases her proposed budget, the DC Council will hold another round of public hearings on the proposed budget for each agency. Once again, the public can sign up to testify. Stay tuned for the dates/times of those hearings.
***Oversight/Budget Season Tip: Given the number of people that testify at these hearings, coalition building is key! Think about DC organizations that you align with and reach out to them about supporting their oversight/budget requests.